Monday, 20 January 2014

A Different Kind of Nail Art

I wanted to share a little art project I've been working on, bit by bit, for the past year.  It was inspired by a piece of artwork done by Revlon spokesperson, Leeanne Colley, who does the most beautiful work - if you're a fan of nail art, you should definitely check her out on twitter, @LeeanneColley.  She saved a few fake nails, with her personal designs from various fashion shoots and events, where she was the manicurist, and put them into a 3D picture frame.  I loved the idea, so I wanted to do a similar project, where I would either make my own design, or try to re-create other nail artists' work, and put it on my wall, near my nail station.

Here is a picture of the original piece, back in February of 2013, at Revlon's nail art night.  I wish I did a better job at capturing Leeanne's work, but that night I was so mesmerized by everything around me - I was just snapping away, not really focusing on the photo quality.




I started by ordering a pack of 500 fake acrylic nails, which included10 different sizes, from bornpretty (check them out for nail art items, and much more - don't forget to use the code "WANX31" at checkout for 10% off).  Once they arrived, whenever I was so inclined, I would choose a design, and create it on the nail.  After it was dry, I would save the completed fake nail in a container. 

A few months into my project.
Once I had enough, I bought a 12x12 shadow box from Wal-Mart, and glued the nails onto the fabric covered backing that came with the frame.  I let it dry for the day, and voila!







I'm hooked, I need to make more....and maybe not take a year to do it.

6 comments:

  1. OMG the little cow is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I named her "Elsie" - 'Rent' reference, anyone?

      Delete
  2. Thats so cool that you actually did it! It looks great! Your great at nail art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, just saw this! Thanks Michelle!

      Delete
  3. i love it i think iam going to have to do one for my nail room

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it! And share pictures when it's done! I've actually just begun making my second one.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus